Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Don't Always Believe the Horror Stories

Before I came to Washington Semester something I was nervous about was what my responsibilities would be at my internship. You hear horror stories of being a lowly intern and having to get everyone in the office coffee and making photocopies all day. I knew I did not want that, but how would I avoid it?

So, I wanted to share the wonderful experience I am having as an intern. I was given the assignment to research the deportation of Haitians from the United States back to Haiti. I then would draft a statement on behalf of TransAfrica Forum for the immediate halt of the deportations. What is so wonderful is something actually happened with this statement I drafted. The statement was posted on the TransAfrica Forum; the link to the statement is on the main page. Below is a link to the page the statement I drafted is on:

http://transafrica.org/2011/02/policy-overview/caribbean/haiti/transafrica-forum-calls-for-immediate-halt-of-deportations-to-haiti/

What is so great it that I feel like I am doing something at my internship that matters not just mindless busy work. I am really enjoying this internship. After creating this statement I then had to write up a briefing on the deportation of Haitians from the United States. This was more research to do then for just the statement since it needed to be five pages or so. After completing the briefing I moved on the larger project of researching gender based violence which has spiked with the IDP camps. Since women’s history month is March I need to have the report done quite quickly for it to be used at events and briefings on what is occurring in Haiti in regard to gender based violence.

So, the point is do not get worried about your internship and the horror stories you here, because honestly you could end up with an internship which is really rewarding. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment