Tuesday, April 19, 2011

On Replay- Istanbul

Meetings Istanbul is not something I have talked about. While in Istanbul I learned about a really interesting organization the International Crisis Group. I really like what they do and the women we met with was really interesting and passionate about her work. They also have office across the globe which made me quite excited.

Something which I realized by the end of our stay in Istanbul which was interesting was that almost every individual we talked to about eh Cyprus issue need to give us (sometimes) a length presentation on the history of the conflict. Now, I understand why the speaker does it because they want to make sure we have the “right” history, their view of history. What I do not understand is why speakers do not understand that we have met with people with the same views as them so we know this history they are telling us. But not only that we also have done preparation for this, we have read article from all perspectives it was not as if we all suddenly decided lets go to Cyprus and look at the conflict. I mean it is as if we were ignorant to all that has happened and needed to be taught to right way. Do not get me wrong it was interesting to see how different people interpreted the conflict but sometimes it was just “can you give it a break, could you not talk down to us as if we do not know what we are doing or even studying!”

Then you would have speakers who you could not believe what was coming out of their mouth and what they were saying. Of course you would be respectful because are representing yourself, your professor, your school, and your country. But there were certainly times for me at lease when I had to hold back from saying things so as not to be offensive because I was so shocked about the individual’s views.

I did enjoy it though because you do need to know there are people out there that do not think like you and you will be face with those individuals in the real world so better learn how to cope with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment