Monday, January 24, 2011

Light

Heads up this one is a bit dim just because of the subject matter.

The other day I visited the Holocaust Museum with my Peace & Conflict Resolution class. Having studied the Holocaust in school, seen movies, and read books on the Holocaust I was both excited and nervous to go to the Holocaust Museum. I was excited about going to the Holocaust Museum because of what so many of my friends had said about their visit to the museum being so well done and moving. I was nervous because as interesting as the Holocaust is, it is also very disturbing time in humanities history. To go through four floors of a display of a systematic attempt to exterminate other human beings is hard. So many of my friends said the passports they received at the start of their journeys were interesting and make the museum have more of a personal connection to them. The other part many of my friends, who had already been to the Holocaust Museum, found most disturbing were the piles of shoes from prisoners going into concentration camps. But what I found most disturbing was the cattle car from a train that transported people to concentration camps. When I walked through the car it was as if I could feel all the people who had been in the cattle car. It was as if the air around me changed. I know it sounds very touchy feeling but it really was that way.

The suggestions I have you if you visit the Holocaust Museum is to not rush through it. Experience the museum, read what is on the walls, learn from what is there. I also suggest that you meet a survivor. I met with one and hearing his story and how he was able to move on with his life just makes you amazed. For him to be able to restore his faith in humanity and just want to move on from it all and live a normal life is so amazing to me. Their strength to move on and live gives you strength as well as having you feel like you could make it through whatever because it is not even close to what they have endured. It reminded of me of this quote

We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

No comments:

Post a Comment