Saturday, January 29, 2011

First day on the Job

This week I had my first days as an intern at TransAfrica Forum. The first day was just the usual stuff of introducing us to the organization, the work they have done, and what we would be doing. The second is when I actually started work. For my second day of work I was being sent to a talk on United States and Cuban relations. Center for International Policy was hosting a number of speakers to present on the topic of a Call for Immediate Steps to Improve
Relations with Cuba
. Since I am working in the Latin America and Caribbean sector of TransAfrica Forum it was my job to report back to my supervisor on what the topics were covered and what the speakers thought was the best course of action. I was very excited about this opportunity to learn more about United States and Cuban relations since I did not know much on the matter. It was a very informative meeting.The conference talked about the most recent lightening of travel restrictions for American to Cuba and what the meant for Americans. Americans are now allowed to travel to Cuban if they will be receiving academic credit. I think this is a good thing. I feel this way because students should experience as many different cultures and ways of life as possible. After the conference was over I headed back to the office.

In the afternoon I was given the task to read a report which TransAfrica Forum just helped complete about the rape of women and girls in Haiti at the displacement camps for refugees of the earthquake. It amazed me the deplorable conditions which the people in displacement camps were living in as well as how often rape was occurring in these camps. I am not going to go into a lot of detail about the report since it can be quite a disturbing topic. None the less it is a very interesting report and I have posted a link below if anyone is interesting in learning more about the subject.

All in all I really enjoyed my first day of work at TransAfrica Forum and I am very impressed by the work they do!


http://ijdh.org/archives/13361

No comments:

Post a Comment